2008/01/17

Maybe the NY Times isn't as humourless as I had always supposed

I was reading a typical (or so I thought) article entitled Bush Prods Saudi Arabia on Oil Price when I eventually encountered this paragraph:

It was unclear whether Mr. Bush’s entreaties alone would have any significant effect on the price of oil, because, as the president acknowledged, demand continues to rise faster than supplies, especially in expanding markets in China and India, as well as the United States.


I don't know about you, but as a sarcastic c**t myself, I love this sort of unlooked-for zinger. Especially in a newspaper famous for its diffidence. And boringness.

I bet that the author, James Glanz , is British. Its subtlety, placed in the middle of the article, implies that quintessential English sneakiness, as testimonials from innumerable Indians, Burmese, and tons of African nationals will bear witness.

No comments: